Friday, July 13, 2012

FMQ Challenge July/Friday Night Sew In

It's still a bit early but I've taken part in the Friday Night Sew In by getting the Free Motion Quilt Challenge done for this month. Unfortunately, I worked today and have to work tomorrow morning starting at 7. I'm already running out of steam! I chose my fabric and read this month's challenge which was taught to us by Angela Walters. She calls this pattern Tiles. You machine quilt your piece in segments. I thought it would be a great opportunity to practice some of the free motion quilt patterns I've been using since this challenge started way back in January. I tried some meandering, pebbles, loops, swirls and curls. One segment was supposed to be triangles but it came out a bit funky so we'll disregard that one tile!

I kept aware where each tile started and where it was supposed to end. I found some of the spaces rather small to free motion and was backed into corners at times. But I just traveled by sewing over an existing tile frame and kept moving. I thought this was fun and I really like the look. It's my first attempt so I hope I would only improve! I think this would be great if I had to quilt a large background. I like the idea of making that large space into a more manageable area.

I also started to think that you can make all sorts of designs. You could make circles instead of squares/rectangles. I've seen some squares where the sides are angles. This idea is so versatile and the possibilities are endless.

Angela Walters has a book out called Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters. I might just go buy it. The last thing I need is another book but I just love her approach. You can find her book here.

Time for me to take a nice shower and relax for a bit. I always go to bed early when I have to work so early in the morning. Have a nice weekend!!

18 comments:

  1. Your FMQ tile looks great! Love the pebbles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of good ideas in this piece. I like the tiles. Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Auntie Em. Let me know what you decide to do on your borders.

      Delete
  3. Outstanding! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really great. Very neat tiling...like your idea of different shapes, mind you you might then get stuck more often. Need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was fun! I'd like to try it again since you have to learn how to travel and not get stuck in a corner!

      Delete
  5. I love it! I especially love how you used different fillers! So fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice words and the great tutorial! I couldn't have done it without you! I really love how you break down a large area into smaller, more manageable spaces. Love it!!

      Delete
  6. good job! I hope to get to mine practice next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun but you have to be careful not to get stuck! Hope you post some pictures!!

      Delete
  7. That looks like a lot of work. I know how long it takes me to do a practice sandwich. Great FNSI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Took a look at your blog and your granny squares look perfect! I think 2 blocks are good for FNSI. Love your swallowtail shawl. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks! Have you done yours yet this month? Can't wait to see it!!

      Delete
  9. This looks like so much fun! I've known I need to work on my FMQ skills, but doing a whole quilt in one design has made me hesitant. It would be fine if I was semi-confident in the design, but I need something I can just practice with...and stop doing it if I get a little bored. And this looks like it might be perfect! I might give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that very same thing! Just doing a small part at a time seemed so much better! Give it a try! I think you'll like it!

      Delete

I Like Thursday #228

Welcome to I Like Thursday! A bunch of us bloggers like to write happy and uplifting posts on a weekly basis. Please visit  LeeAnna  to link...