Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Here is my Twister Quilt top with a border. It was very easy to pick a fabric for the border since I just chose one of the fabrics from Butterscotch and Roses that I didn't use in the quilt. It's a gorgeous line of fabrics from Fig Tree Quilts for Moda. I'm a little excited and scared to actually cut the twister blocks. I'm just hoping I have enough contrast and that everything lines up correctly. I'm just waiting for Step 3 which will come at the end of this week.
I'm all caught up with my Mystery Quilt. I just have to iron and trim up the squares. Since I have a little time, I decided to try my free motion feathers again. I tried to add more feathers to the main feather I started with but I don't think I had enough space. It was fun and I may attempt a little feather on the next quilt I machine quilt.
Going back to my knitting for awhile. I've had a few busy days at work and feel like resting!
Friday, February 17, 2012
Week one was pretty easy. Just sew 36 ten inch squares into a 6 x 6 formation. The hardest part was trying to keep up a high degree of contrast between the blocks. I like it so far although I see a few places I could have switched things around. I feel I'm happy with the end result. That's good because I doubt I would actually take anything apart!
Next week we add the border and may actually start cutting out the twister block. It's a little bit scary but I'm hoping doing this with a group will offer insight into the process that I wouldn't have doing it alone. I will update when I'm done Week Two!
Thursday, February 16, 2012
I am so happy to say I have finished my baby quilt! I finished it late last night. It's pretty good timing since the baby shower is this Sunday. I love the way it came out and hope the person I give it to will love it as much as I do. I love making quilts as gifts but am sort of sad to give them away. I guess I feel somewhat connected to it but I do want someone to actually use it and enjoy it.
Here's a close up of the free motion quilting. It's the only quilting I feel comfortable with other than stitching in the ditch.
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Here are the first two blocks I made for the guild's Mystery Quilt. I have 23 more to go! This is Block A. I'm sure there is a Block B next time. I used scraps which makes me feel as though I'm making a free quilt! It didn't cost me anything to make since it's all stuff in my stash. We'll forget the part that I paid for this fabric at some point! It's just nice to use up fabric!
Friday, February 10, 2012
I started this tote bag a few months ago but never finished it. It has a zipper attached to it and I have never sewn anything where I had to sew a zipper. I think I was a little afraid. Anyways, I did the whole project in steps. I did the braid first, then the outer bag, etc. I only had the zipper part left for quite awhile. I finally took the plunge today and finished it! I am really happy with the results. It wasn't difficult at all. I got everything first try and now I actually know how to use a zipper foot! I'm dying to tell my dad but he doesn't even use a zipper foot. He just sort of sews it!
If anyone is interested, these directions are found as a free download at Connecting Threads. They're written by Kiera Vanella whose blog is It's Sew Kiki! She has a lot of neat stuff to see. I'm always finding something fun over there! Check it out!!
Monday, February 6, 2012
I haven't felt well all day. I had planned on starting the quilting on the baby quilt but my head ache just wouldn't let me!! However, I ate dinner and felt a little better. I have neglected practicing my free motion feathers so I decided to try some. I am actually going to share a photo. It's not very good but it is better than what I've been doing.
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
I thought this print was pretty but will also be fun for the baby to point at the different motifs. There are so many cute baby prints out there. There are so many choices. I wasn't a quilter when I had my babies but maybe I would have been if these prints were available!
I've also been working on a few of my other projects. I'm still practicing my free motion leaves. I was trying to practice every day but every other day seemed to work out better for me. There is some improvement. My leaves are a more consistent size and my stitch length is somewhat even. I plan on continuing practicing the leaves although this month's tutorial is with Diane Gaudynski and her wonderful feathers. I'm a little afraid!! Maybe I'll show you a picture of my feathers. Maybe!!
Here is my Clam Shell block for Green Tea and Sweet Beans. I really love the color combination. These are the fabrics I used throughout...
Our quilt guild gave little demonstrations at our last meeting. I liked the microwave bowl cozy. I came home and googled it. The dire...
The main body of my scrap project is done! I still have 2 borders left but only one border includes scrap squares. I feel as though I...
I finished it! It's my version of the Farmer's Wife 1930's Quilt. It's my version because I used 42 blocks and made it ...