I finally did it! I quilted feathers in a border. The border wasn't very wide. It was 4 1/2 inches wide. I didn't think I had the space (or the expertise) to quilt feathers with a curved stem so I decided on a straight stem. I marked the space I wanted to cover and drew the stem exactly in the middle. I sewed the stem first and then followed with feathers on either side. My feathers are not perfect but it was much easier than I expected.
I chose to use Aurifil 50 weight cotton white thread. I wanted to see the feathers but I didn't want a lot of contrast. I was under enough stress trying these feathers. I feel I'm still practicing. Also, my machine loves this thread! I never have any problems when I use Aurifil.
Here's the whole quilt. I just finished the binding. So glad I finished it! It always feels so good to get a project completed! Thanks to everyone who have given me advice on quilting feathers on a border. It helped me out so much!
I'm linking over at Amy's Free Motion Quilting Adventures. She's featuring feathers for the whole month of July. She also has some great advice as well as videos to watch. Hope you go over and take a look!