I have finally finished machine quilting Ladies of Downton Abbey. I started quilting in late April and finished yesterday. I chose a pattern to individually quilt each block. There are 50 blocks so that was quite time consuming!
I made my loops in the sashing. The machine quilting decisions took the longest time! I had no overall plan when I started quilting. I decided as I went along. I was hoping the quilt would talk to me! I'm happy with the feathers in the larger triangles. I chose the pattern for the smaller corner triangles from a book. That just left the border. I had intended on doing something feathery but it's rather narrow. It was barely 2 3/4 inches before sewing on the binding. I like to sew a binding with a 3/8 seam. I didn't think the width would have been enough for me to make feathers. I decided on clam shells instead.
Here's a close up of the border with the binding attached and sewn under. It's not even 2 inches. I think the clam shells worked fine.
This is the binding fabric. It's part of the Downton Abbey fabric line. It's the Dowager/grandmother's line of fabric. I thought it was appropriate to use since the fabric for the body of the quilt is attributed to the granddaughters. There's a lovely muted purple throughout the fabric.
I got the seal of approval from Molly. She thought the quilt was a great place to rest for awhile! Today makes one year since we've adopted her. Happy Adoptiversary to Molly!!