Wednesday, November 11, 2015

FMQ Tone it Down Quilt


After taking machine quilting classes last week, I was dying to start quilting my own quilt! I wanted to try using rulers a little more as well as a few other techniques. This quilt is from the Tone it Down
quilt along from American Patchwork and Quilts. I love that I used my fabric stash since it's such a scrappy pattern. This first picture is one block.


Here is the center of the block. I quilted diagonals and then curved around each line.


I quilted diagonals in this section also. I'm hoping your eye gets drawn to this darker fabric. This darker fabric outlines each block and gives the appearance of surrounding the center.


These are the corner 9 patches. I made diagonals and curved around each line.


I quilted back and forth loops in the larger rectangles. In the lower right corner, you can see a smaller rectangle.  I made a diamond and filled it in with more back and forth loops. I used rulers to make the diamond. I also used rulers to make all the diagonals. I didn't mark a thing!

That's one completed block! The quilt is made up of 20 blocks, no borders. Looking forward (and a little scared!) to quilting feathers between the blocks. That's for next time!

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful start Rosemary!! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Raewyn! I had a wonderful time quilting this!! I have a feeling this one will take a while!!

      Delete
  2. Looks great...I like how the green outlines the block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. I'm really enjoying quilting this quilt.

      Delete
  3. This is so neat! You have become a quilting maven for sure..lovely pattern...this is one of my favorite quilts hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! You've set yourself quite a task to do all that quilting in just the first block. I know you can do it, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This quilt will definitely take a while to complete!! I'll just have to keep at it!

      Delete

I Like Thursday #228

Welcome to I Like Thursday! A bunch of us bloggers like to write happy and uplifting posts on a weekly basis. Please visit  LeeAnna  to link...