Wednesday, April 20, 2016

My Farmer's Wife 1930's Quilt


I finished it! It's my version of the Farmer's Wife 1930's Quilt. It's my version because I used 42 blocks and made it my own size. This quilt top measures 64" x 72". It's a very nice lap size which is my favorite size to make. The book included 4 different sizes that could be made. This quilt falls between the crib and twin size. 


This is the quilt without the outer border. Not many Farmer's Wife quilts include a border made from the background fabric. I decided I wanted to really outline the blocks and thought the background fabric would be best. I didn't want to introduce another fabric color. I feel the blocks have all the color and should be allowed to shine.



It took a few days to find the border fabric. I really wanted to find a really pretty lavender but my local quilt shops didn't have anything I liked. I found this teal Penny Rose fabric and thought the color was perfect. 

I'm so happy to have finished this quilt. The quilt along is ongoing so I feel as though I cheated!! I'm hoping to finish machine quilting my scrap quilt today too! For once, I won't have 4 or 5 projects I'm working on at the same time. I'm going to try and restrain myself and only work on 2-3 projects at a time. Maybe. 

8 comments:

  1. It's lovely! I think the border fabric you picked really makes the colors pop! I haven't gotten back to working on mine in quite some time. Not as much fun without you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Em! I'm here if you need me! I have a feeling you'll be fine. I ended up paper piecing most of the hard ones. So much easier that way.

      Delete
  2. Farmers Wife is next on my list. I love the fresh colours you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the brighter fabrics so popular right now! It makes all projects look so much fresher.

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful (and I love teal so I think the border is perfect LOL!) Good idea to keep it at 42 blocks, doesn't seem too overwhelming and you get a finished result a lot faster too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I felt a little guilty stopping at 42 blocks but I really didn't want to make a huge quilt of 99 blocks. I love this size!

      Delete

Log Cabin for Christmas

The Log Cabin for my neighbor is done! I'll call her at the beginning of the week to give her the good news. She wanted to have it ...