Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Ruler Work/FMQ

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling
I've been working more than usual lately. We had to update our software. Whenever this happens, our hours are increased as well as staffing. I worked all day Friday, Saturday and Monday. Monday, I had to start work at 3AM! It was strange to get up in the middle of the night to start work. I was so tired last night. I went to bed early and slept 10 hours!

I was able to quilt a little today. I finished this block last week. As you can see, I combined a little ruler work with some free motion quilting.

Image may contain: 1 person, indoor

This was also ruler work. I drew a 2 inch grid. Using a circle ruler, I quilted arcs on either side of each line. I've never made these arcs on a printed line. I've always had a sewn line to make arcs. I found it a bit harder since the line wasn't always easy to see. Thankfully, the busy fabric masks some of that. 

No automatic alt text available.

This is ruler work combined with feathers. The fabric makes my quilting impossible to see! I had to place lights in certain areas so it would show up in the picture. I'll definitely do this motif again. I like how it looks.

No automatic alt text available.

Here's another busy fabric! I fooled around with my boomerang ruler. The hardest part of this ruler is keeping the foot snugly up against while moving. I did veer off a few times!

No automatic alt text available.

Here's a close up. The curves are very forgiving and makes the whole thing work.

I only have one row left and then Step Down Quilt is finished! This time of year is so busy. I'm happy to sneak in my quilting time any chance I can!

6 comments:

  1. Oh your quilt is gonna be beautiful.
    Love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Dawn! I wouldn't have this quilt if it wasn't for you!

      Delete
  2. Your quilting is fabulous--such lovely textures.
    Gosh going to work for 3 am--on these cold nights...brrrr
    no wonder you slept 10 hours afterwards...
    Hope it quiets down for you soon..
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! I'm so glad that overnight shift is over! I didn't feel myself the whole next day. So glad you like my quilting!

      Delete
  3. Glad you took some time between work hours to do something enjoyable!
    Can't imagine getting up at 3 to go to work.
    I really like the effect of the boomerang ruler. If you hadn't shown a closeup I would have never noticed a few little ripples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Em! I had always heard that curved crosshatching is very forgiving. It's true! It's so hard to keep the foot hugging that curved ruler. I'll get it eventually. I had to get up at 2am Monday morning. It was awful! So glad that's over!

      Delete

I Like Thursday #231

 Welcome to I Like Thursday! Please visit  LeeAnna  to link up with more fun bloggers. I've been diligently working on my son's wedd...