I'll have to say it didn't look very good while I was knitting it. It just sort of hangs and the lace pattern is hard to really see. However, the blocking is what transforms it. The directions were very explicit as to how wide each section should be. I washed it by hand and then wrapped it in a towel to absorb the excess water. I used a tape measure and pins to make the dimensions found in the pattern.
I'm now knitting a pair of socks for my son. I had made him a pair years ago but he lost them in his apartment fire this past December. I bought the exact same yarn so they should look just like his old ones.