Sunday, May 18, 2014

A Finish!!



I just finished sewing down the binding on this quilt I made for my daughter's friend.  The pattern was from the Fat Quarter Shop. It used charm packs and was called Charm Pack Cherry Quilt. (Very appropriate!) I just have to slap a label on it and give it a nice washing. I'm hoping she likes it!

Here's some detail on the quilting.


I used the scroll flower quilting pattern that I learned from Amy's Free Motion Quilting Adventures. I really like the way it came out. Every once in awhile, I would have a little area too small for a flower so I added a leaf. It worked out very nicely. The scroll flower was quilted on the inner portion of the quilt. I stitched in the ditch where I sewed the border.

 
In the border, I decided to just meander. I really liked the look of the variegated thread on the pale yellow.  It seemed to create another pattern in the stippling.

This was the quilt that I used the 505 adhesive spray to hold the layers together. I loved it! The layers stayed together very nicely. I loved being able to quilt and not have to take any pins out. I plan on using it again. I had no problems whatsoever using the spray in place of pins. I think I actually quilted this quilt faster since I could build up some speed and not have to slow down to remove pins.


 
 
My son graduated yesterday. He received a Bachelor's degree in business. My daughter finished her Master's degree this past December. She didn't take part in the ceremony but both their names were in the program. I am so proud of them both! They seem to have grown up overnight! Where does the time go??

12 comments:

  1. How wonderful that both your children finished their degrees! Time does fly for sure! Your quilt turned out lovely...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose. Graduation was bittersweet. I wasn't sure if I was happy or sad.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet finish and an exciting milestone for your children. I love your flower quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for finishes, both quilty and scholastic! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done to both your children xx quilt looks bright and cheerful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diane! I'm resting today. I need a day to recuperate! Been so busy!

      Delete
  5. congratulations. the quilt is beautiful and your machine quilting is awesome! I am just learning. Not doing too well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It takes a while when it comes to machine quilting. It's taken me years of practice to get this far. Just keep at it. You'll see the improvement.

      Delete

I Like Thursday #228

Welcome to I Like Thursday! A bunch of us bloggers like to write happy and uplifting posts on a weekly basis. Please visit  LeeAnna  to link...