Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Tone It Down Quilted


I have finally finished quilting Tone It Down from American Patchwork and Quilting magazine. It was a quilt along but I started it late and worked on it when time permitted. Once the top was complete, it took me awhile to figure out how to machine quilt it. I knew I wanted quilt feathers in the rectangular sashing but had no idea of what else to do. Each block is made up of so many pieces that I had to make a little road map so that I'd remember what to quilt in each area.


Here's a couple of closeups to give you an idea of what designs I ended up quilting.


I used rulers a lot. I also made dots and connected them with lines to make specific designs. I tried not to mark too much. I did mark each feather spine using an air soluble marker.


I'm already thinking ahead to the binding. Here's the fabric I bought. I thought it would be a fun way to frame/end this quilt.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your stunning finis! You have a real beauty here and
    magnificent quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so happy to be finished! Seemed to take forever!

      Delete
  2. That is very pretty, Rosemary. Your quilting is beautiful ...stunning !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karin! It means so much to me since you're such a wonderful machine quilter!

      Delete
  3. It's absolutely beautiful - well done. Such a lot of work in that. The fabric for the binding looks just right and will give it a strong frame. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment! It took me such a long time to quilt it but I'm so happy with the outcome! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  4. Very neat and pretty quilt. The quilting looks beautiful :-). Great job !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comment! So glad you visited my blog!

      Delete
  5. Lovely quilt! Congrats on getting it done. Me, I'd go with a reddish binding because I see a lot of that in the quilt, but the polka dots look so fun1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice comment as well as for visiting my blog! I like red for the binding too! I chose blue only for the contrast. <3

      Delete
  6. Rosemary, your work is so beautiful! All the pinks and pretty florals make it a really feminine quilt, and the free motion designs complement the top perfectly.
    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the very nice comment, Muv! It means so much to me. Thank you for the opportunity to link up with Free Motion Mavericks.

      Delete

Baby Binding

Here's the baby quilt complete with binding. I used the same fabric as the border. I usually use a 2.25" binding. I'm not sure ...