I'm a mom to 2 grown children as well as a hospital pharmacist. I work part time but try to quilt and knit full time! Hope you enjoy my projects! I treasure and respond to every comment I receive. Hope you follow me and my little blog!
Wishing you and your loved ones a Happy Thanksgiving! I baked my pie and cake last night. Enjoying a nice quiet morning before we all overeat!
Enjoy your dinner and count your blessings! We all have much to be thankful for!
Our quilt guild gave little demonstrations at our last meeting. I liked the microwave bowl cozy. I came home and googled it. The directions were similar but I added an extra step.
You start out by cutting fabric into two 9 inch squares. I used the same fabric but you can use two different ones if you like. You should also cut batting about 8 inches square. Do not use heat resistant batting. I used 80/20 cotton/polyester. I have a ton of scraps left from larger projects.
Mark lines diagonally to each corner. Also mark lines horizontally and vertically between the diagonals halfway through each side. Then, you just sew each line!
The horizontal and vertical lines are pleated and sewn as darts. You can make them wider which will give you a deeper bowl. I made mine about 5/8 inch wide at the top and about 2 1/2 inches long. You do the same to both sides.
You sew the two sides together, right sides together. Leave a 4 inch opening for turning inside out. I clipped the corners and us…
The main body of my scrap project is done! I still have 2 borders left but only one border includes scrap squares. I feel as though I've been cutting squares forever! I have about 100 left to cut. That doesn't sound too bad after getting this far for this project!
I started in the middle and have been working my way out towards the outer borders. This last border had the most squares. I had to cut 200 squares just for the last 2 sides. It's a great way of working through my stash to see what I actually have. I have forgotten I even owned most of these fabrics. So nice to be able to use them.
The next border also introduces a new background fabric. In the sample, it's a very pale aqua. This picture isn't too accurate. I chose a grayish blue solid. I went to the quilt shop and auditioned quite a few fabrics but this one looked the best to me. Hope it looks good when added to the mix of fabrics so far. I'll let you know!
I finished it! It's my version of the Farmer's Wife 1930's Quilt. It's my version because I used 42 blocks and made it my own size. This quilt top measures 64" x 72". It's a very nice lap size which is my favorite size to make. The book included 4 different sizes that could be made. This quilt falls between the crib and twin size.
This is the quilt without the outer border. Not many Farmer's Wife quilts include a border made from the background fabric. I decided I wanted to really outline the blocks and thought the background fabric would be best. I didn't want to introduce another fabric color. I feel the blocks have all the color and should be allowed to shine.
It took a few days to find the border fabric. I really wanted to find a really pretty lavender but my local quilt shops didn't have anything I liked. I found this teal Penny Rose fabric and thought the color was perfect.
I'm so happy to have finished this quilt. The quilt along…