Saturday, March 14, 2015

New FMQ


I haven't practiced any new Free Motion Quilt patterns lately. I thought it would be nice to try something new. I've been practicing this swirl with a hook on paper all week. I used one of Angela Walters' books to help me. I thought I would try it on the machine last night. This picture is a sample after I had practiced a little while. I got stuck a few times so my swirls sort of suffered! (Nice way of saying they look weird!) But, overall, I think they're okay.


Here's an earlier practice piece. The basic shape is there but it just isn't as good. Practice really does make the difference! I did like this pattern. It was fast and seemed to cover a large area very quickly. I love swirls but I feel my swirls are often lopsided. You don't have to worry about that when adding a hook. They all seem to balance out very nicely. Every so often, my hook was going in the wrong direction! I think I need more practice and then that should be better too!

It was such fun to try something new. It was very enjoyable and I hope to be able to use this on one of my quilts someday.

6 comments:

  1. Neat Swirls--these will make a great filler for backgrounds...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm hoping after I practice more! Thanks, Julierose!!

      Delete
  2. Keep at it...this looks great. This is where I learnt the swirl and hook from as well...I think I drew this for about a week before I went on fabric. Really great filler as it allows you to fill any odd space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. I definitely plan on more practice so I can use it on one of my quilts. I really like how it looks.

      Delete

Log Cabin for Christmas

The Log Cabin for my neighbor is done! I'll call her at the beginning of the week to give her the good news. She wanted to have it ...