Sunday, September 28, 2014

Old Quilt Top, New Quilt

 


I made this quilt top over 15 years ago. I had left it at my mom's house. I have no idea why! She found it and thought I should make it bigger for her so she can put it on her bed during the winter. It measures about 71" by 82".  She wants more of a double bed size. The pattern is an Irish Chain from the Quilt In a Day series by Eleanor Burns. I'm pretty sure it's one of the earliest quilt tops I ever made. The fabric is not the best. I think I bought it all at JoAnn's during a sale. The border fabric includes a calico! (Hard to see in this picture) This is definitely from the 90's!

 
I went to my local quilt shop and looked for fabrics. This wasn't too easy. I wanted to try and modernize the quilt but I didn't want to replace any of the old fabrics. It took awhile but I did find something. You can see what I chose in the above picture. There is orange in the original border so I found an orange fabric that wasn't completely solid. It has a hand dyed look to it. I decided to play it safe with the remaining fabric and chose a navy blue that was very close to the original blue fabric print used in the top. I'm going to make another border similar to the original but I'll be using the new fabrics instead. It will add an extra 12 inches to each side. That should be big enough!  I suppose it's about time I finish this WIP!! I hope my mom likes the result!


My cats seem to be getting along better. I still hear hissing once in awhile but it's happening less and less. We've had Molly almost 2 months now. I wish she would stay a kitten forever but I don't think that's going to happen! Lily, my older cat, is probably happy about that. Molly doesn't sleep half as much and runs around a lot more than her! Molly is almost 5 months old now. Lily wants to sleep more and play less!

6 comments:

  1. Bet it will feel good to finish that quilt that was years in the making. Now that you are so good at machine quilting, it should be done in no time.
    Cute kitties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how fast I will be but I'll finish it eventually!!

      Delete
  2. top looks great ... shows that leaving to "mature" is no bad thing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! Maybe it will come out even better since it rested for so long! Haha!!

      Delete
  3. your quilt top looks great. cant wait to see it done. Mom will love it! your kitties are cute. mine still hiss at each other once in a while and they have been together four years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping my mom likes how the quilt comes out! I'll definitely post a picture. You made me feel better about the cats. The hissing isn't as frequent but I still hate hearing it! I want them to be best friends!!

      Delete

I Like Thursday #228

Welcome to I Like Thursday! A bunch of us bloggers like to write happy and uplifting posts on a weekly basis. Please visit  LeeAnna  to link...