Thursday, April 9, 2015

Leah Day Classes at MQX


I took two wonderful classes with Leah Day at MQX in Manchester, NH. Free Motion Quilting was the main subject of the first class. We brought quilt sandwiches all ready to practice the new designs that Leah taught us. It was so helpful to have her watch us and fine tune our techniques. The six hour class just flew by. It was amazing to see how much we all improved. She had handouts and books ready for us. She also showed us all sorts of patterns on the white board as you can see above.

The second class concentrated on feathers and we received patterns that can be easily traced onto any quilt top or block. I don't think I've ever quilted as many feathers as I did today! This class was 4 hours.
 

The classes were very casual and fun. We could walk around and talk amongst ourselves. I usually get a little nervous when I have to sew a new technique with a classroom of people around. I was quite comfortable. I wanted to sew so I could practice the new techniques I was just starting to learn.


 
Leah walked around the room and helped us.


Leah showed us her new projects as well as some of her older ones.


Her machine quilting was amazing! She passed around all sorts of projects she had worked on.


I'm sure this looks familiar! It was great to see this in person. It's on the cover of one of her books also and represents her 365 free motion patterns.

 
This is one of her newer projects.
 

This was a whole cloth she designed. I actually started this project but never finished. My free motion skills just weren't good enough. 

These two classes were excellent. If you ever have the chance to take a class with Leah Day, go for it!  You won't regret it!




 












14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful experience and a great learning session! Good for you..lovely samples hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! I'm so glad I took these classes. I really enjoyed them!

      Delete
  2. Her "Hearts & Feathers" whole cloth QAL was the beginning of my serious foray into machine quilting!!!!! Brings back some wonderful memories!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had so many gorgeous quilts she had made. So inspiring!

      Delete
  3. A workshop and a trunk show! Sounds like a fun class with lots of good information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She showed us projects she had made and finished as well as projects that didn't work. So nice to know even the teachers aren't perfect!!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful!! I think Leah was one of the first bloggers I came across who put fmg-ing within reach. Happy quilting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I would be free motion quilting if it wasn't for Leah Day. She made it "okay" to use our domestic machines. You'll be happy to hear that she's getting a sit down machine like ours! It was hurting her neck and back too much.

      Delete
  5. This class seem to be an inspired and fun class. I am a fan of Leah's blog and videos and also join in her online classes on Craftsy. It will be really great to meet and have a class with her in person. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best quilt class I've ever taken. I enjoyed it and learned a lot! If you ever get the chance, take a class with her! You'll love it!

      Delete
  6. Rosemary, it was so great to meet you and have lunch together on Wednesday! Leah really is a great teacher. I hope people that are hesitating to quilt their own quilts will take one of her classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear from you! I really enjoyed Leah's classes. So glad I took them! How was your class Saturday? I hope we can keep in touch. I would really love that. I'm not sure how to find Lana. I don't know if she's on Facebook. Wonderful to hear from you!

      Delete
  7. What a great opportunity for you! I bet you had fun, and I'm only a tiny bit jealous! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really and truly enjoyed these classes. I really feel I learned a lot. I would have loved to have taken these classes with you! What fun we would have had together!! Maybe someday!

      Delete

I Like Thursday #228

Welcome to I Like Thursday! A bunch of us bloggers like to write happy and uplifting posts on a weekly basis. Please visit  LeeAnna  to link...