Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Finishing up that Binding
I'm not sure about you, but I always seem to have an issue when it comes to binding. I'm never completely comfortable with my method. I always have to look up how to finish the ends in a non-lumpy fashion. I decided to take pictures and post my way of doing it so I can have easy access the next time I'm at the binding stage. If it helps anyone else out there, it would be an added bonus!
As you see above, I start sewing by leaving a 10-12 inch tail.
I sew all 4 sides and leave a gap between the ends. Both ends now have a 10-12 inch tail. I trim the excess binding on both sides and overlap the two ends by 2 1/2 inches since that's the width of my binding. If my binding was 2 inches wide, I would have the two ends overlap by 2 inches.
Here is one of the tails. I've opened it up and measured it just to make sure I'm accurate. (I've been off in the past!)
This is the only really tricky part. I've gotten it backwards in the past. First of all, I've pinned the body of the quilt to give myself some extra space to play around with the binding. I have unfolded both ends of the binding. The left side opens up to show the right side of the fabric. The left binding edge is also unfolded however the wrong side of the fabric is displayed. The right sides of the two binding ends meet in the same fashion as when we joined the binding. I put a pin there. You can actually open it up and make sure the binding is oriented properly. (This is where I have screwed up in the past.) It's not hard but so easy to fold the wrong way.
As you can see, I pinned again and drew a diagonal line that I will sew on.
Once I sew on that line, I trim the seam to 1/4inch and finger press. I unpin my quilt and it fits perfectly! Success!!
Here it is! You would never know I started the binding here. No bumps or lumps!
There are many versions of this all over the internet. This one seems to work for me. Hope I've helped someone!
My Block of the Month is all done for this month. I made 4 versions of the Star Blocks, one for each corner. The only other block this ...
I finished these mittens a few days ago. I ended up giving them to my mother. My brother bought her some type of hand warmers and she t...
Our quilt guild gave little demonstrations at our last meeting. I liked the microwave bowl cozy. I came home and googled it. The dire...
I've been making more quilt blocks for the On Ringo Lake Mystery Quilt by Bonnie Hunter. The first few took me awhile but I'm g...