Saturday, July 5, 2014

Grid-based Clamshells


This was my first attempt at making clamshells using a grid. I used a 1 inch square grid. You can barely see it in the photo. I found it a little awkward and felt my clamshells weren't as rounded as I wanted them to be. I couldn't maneuver a nice arc from corner to corner the way I intended.



A few days later, I tried again. It seemed much easier this time. I was more round and less pointy! My actual quilting felt less jerky. I think I'll use this pattern after I practice a little more. I felt it was a positive sign that I felt more comfortable just after 2 practice sessions. The clamshells create a really nice texture and add a lot of interest.

Amy has some great ideas to make these clamshells even more fancy! Check it out at Amy's Free Motion Quilting Adventures. She makes it look so easy but don't fall for it!!  I'll be linking up at her website.

6 comments:

  1. LOL! Are you saying I'm being deceptive? Heehee, I've just had waaaayyyyymore than two sessions on my designs!

    I find it helpful that as soon as my needle passes the bottom of the arc, to look ahead to the mark where I'll be stitching towards to complete the shell's curve. My needle seems to follow my eye. If I watch my stitching as I curve back up to the mark, I pass it every time. Does that make sense at all?

    Thanks for linking up and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you, Amy. That does make sense! I'm having a great time learning these new patterns! Thank you so much!! Looking forward to next month!

      Delete
  2. I like this idea. Will need to remember it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a nice quilt pattern to use. Must practice more!

      Delete
  3. Clamshells are a great thing to practice in the summer. Doesn't it make you want to go to the seashore and get some fresh clams? (cooked, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way but I would love fried clams! Maybe that's why this pattern is so fun!!

      Delete

Quilting State Fair Sampler

 I'm ready to quilt my son and future daughter-in-law's quilt. It's so big that I loaded it in 2 steps. This is how it looks aft...