Tuesday, August 15, 2017

My Neighbor's Quilt Project

No automatic alt text available.

I was sitting at home minding my own business when the phone rang. It was my next door neighbor. They're moving soon so I thought they wanted to say good bye. I was completely wrong. She told me she started a quilt in 2010 and had abandoned it.. Since they're packing up their house, she found the box with all her supplies. She asked if she could bring them over for me to "see". She came right over and showed me these blocks. They measure around 15 inches square. 

No automatic alt text available.

She had also made 103 of these log cabin squares. They measure around 8 inches square. Of course, she asked if I could finish this quilt for her. It was intended to be a queen sized quilt for her daughter. She wants it finished and any decision is up to me. She would also like me to quilt it for her. She had a small stroke and will not be sewing at all anymore. She just wants it finished. She also brought me lots of extra fabric. The backing and binding are all cut as well.

No automatic alt text available.

I didn't have the heart to say no to her. After she left, I calculated that the quilt needs 17 more blocks. She had a small box with blocks partially sewn. It took me a while to figure out what to cut. Here are the 17 blocks that I'm working on right now. I'm going to finish these up and then sew them into groups of 4. 

I was so thrilled that I only had 2 projects I was working on and looking forward to starting something new. Looks like I got another project that I wasn't planning on. This one is quite the challenge. Hope I can finish it nicely for her!

6 comments:

  1. Oh aren't you sweet to do this! I am sure it will be a beautiful finish...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I really hope I can get this done quickly so I can get to my own projects!

      Delete
  2. I am sure you will do the project justice and make it beautiful. so sad she cant sew but great that a neighbor like you took on the challenge. will be cheering you on girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! I'll need it that cheering! It's not easy to pick up in the middle of someone's project and try to finish it properly but I'll do my best!

      Delete
  3. I'm sure it will be a beautiful quilt when you are done. It's a nice thing to do for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Em! Hope I finish it so my neighbor is happy with the completed project. Might need your advice!

      Delete

Baby Binding

Here's the baby quilt complete with binding. I used the same fabric as the border. I usually use a 2.25" binding. I'm not sure ...