Friday, March 1, 2013

FMQ Sneak Peak

 
Here's a sneak peak into the FMQ I decided to do on the Puzzle Box Quilt. As you can see, I've divided each block into segments that are parallel with the inner rectangle. I end up with five segments per block. I quilt back and forth loops into three of the segments.

I felt this quilt needed texture. It seemed very smooth and flat. I love the colors but it just needed another dimension. I've only done 4 blocks, but I like what I've done so far.

 
I'm using King Tut thread in a variegated soft pastel pink, blue and yellow. I think it's actually intended for baby quilts but it's working great on my quilt. It's adding a little bit of color fun without overpowering the actual block.


I got the idea for this FMQ from looking at examples of quilting found in blogs. I looked for awhile and nothing really caught my eye. However, when I found Green Fairy Quilts, I knew I'd find something! If you haven't done it yet, go to this blog and check out her beautiful quilting! It's awesome and inspiring! I can never do as great a job as Judi Madsen, but I just love checking out her beautiful projects.



I had planned on writing this post yesterday but I was quite busy.  It seems when my husband came home from work the other night, a skunk followed him into our garage. We couldn't lure the darn thing out! After many phone calls, we found a company that sent someone over and got him out of our garage. He did leave us a gift. He ended up spraying our garage as he exited. We had the garage treated but you can still smell it! I'm very grateful he's left our home and gone in search of another place to reside!

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend! Watch out for those pesky skunks!!

16 comments:

  1. Yikes! A skunk! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. Hopefully the odor will disappear completely very soon.

    Love the texture you added with those bands of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned to keep a scented candle burning! It really helps with the smell. I think it's a bit better today. The odor should last about 2 weeks. So glad you like my quilting!!

      Delete
  2. Great texture quilting - looking great! Skunks used to quite regularly tangle with our Aussie when he was younger (and a slow learner apparently). Nothing like having to go out at 10 p.m. and wash down the dog with tomato juice, then bathe him and "hope" he doesn't smell too bad. The joys of living in the country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like my added texture! I still can't believe that darn skunk followed my husband's car into our garage. It's never happened before. I just hope it doesn't happen again!

      Delete
  3. Love the free motion quilting on your puzzle block quilt! I used to see skunks often when living in Ohio. I don't think I have ever seen one in the Carolinas. I don't miss them! Sounds like you had quite an adventure. The worst we have had are squirrels falling down the chimney. We only noticed them after they had died and been in there for awhile. Odor was awful! It happened a second time and drew a hoard of huge big blow flies. I felt like I was in a horror movie! I was capturing them with my sweeper attachments. We have since capped the chimney to keep those critters out! Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanie, your squirrels in the chimney sound awful!! We had our chimney capped before we moved in so we never had that problem. I never thought a skunk would like to live in my garage! I guess they're just waking up this time of year. Maybe he thought he found a new home!! I was so relieved to get rid of him! I like to hear you like my quilting!

      Delete
  4. Ewwwww! I hope the smell just stays in your garage and doesn't get into your house.

    Great job on the free motion quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my FMQ! My house does have some of the smell. The garage is attached to our house so every time you open the door, you get some of the smell inside the house. It seems much better now. Hope it's gone soon!

      Delete
  5. Skunk smell...bad.

    Quilting idea on those blocks...fabulous! I will have to remember that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice of you to say! I'm glad you like the quilting. The skunk smell is slowly going away but not as fast as I would like! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  6. We don't have skunks here or in Norway, so I still don't know that smell, only heard of it. The quilting pattern looks great for those blocks. I love King Tut thread, that's the only thread I use for quilting. Have to check out that blog.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Astrid, you're lucky that skunks aren't found in Norway! The smell is awful! Especially in your own house! It's actually better now. It's going away a little bit at a time. So nice to hear you like my quilting! I find King Tut is great to work with.

      Delete
  7. Your quilting looks beautiful! I am so glad that you found some inspiration on my blog. I really appreciate your kind words! Oh, and sorry about the skunk - that must be awful! I hate that smell! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog is wonderful! I really love looking at all your beautiful quilts and seeing your lovely quilting. I can't wait for your book to be published. I'm dying to get my hands on it!

      Delete
  8. I like the way you added to the interest of each block by adding detail that complements the strong straight lines of the piecing. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the nice words and for visiting my blog!

      Delete

Quilting State Fair Sampler

 I'm ready to quilt my son and future daughter-in-law's quilt. It's so big that I loaded it in 2 steps. This is how it looks aft...