Friday, October 12, 2018

New Quilt Guild BOM

No automatic alt text available.

The guild offered a new Block of the Month this year and I joined in! Here are my 2 first blocks. I'm using a fat quarter pack of floral fabrics. I think they're the state flower fabrics. The quilt consists of 12 blocks which will be set up as 4 rows of 3 blocks. I decided I wanted to make mine 16 blocks so I could make 4 rows of 4 blocks. I like symmetry and 16 blocks would work better for me. I decided to make 4 of the Star Block which is the first block we're making. I'll place a Star Block in each of the 4 corners. I have 2 finished blocks which you can see in this picture. 

No automatic alt text available.

This whole quilt is made of  Half Square Triangles. I used the old tried and true method of drawing a diagonal line and sewing 1/4 inch from each side and then cutting on the line.

No automatic alt text available.

Here are my blocks before they're sewn together. I trimmed each square. I love making them a little bigger and then trimming them down to size. I feel it's so much more accurate this way.

No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.

Here's a sneak peek at my next 2 Star Blocks. These squares still have to be trimmed. I was too tired to trim them. Maybe tomorrow after work!

6 comments:

  1. Luscious fabric stars--this will be lovely with one in each corner...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose! I'm so glad I have enough fabric to make this the size I want!

      Delete
  2. Great idea to put a star in each corner. I'm a big fan of making blocks a bit larger and them trimming them down too. Your fabrics are a great choice for this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Em! I think this method is so accurate. I can't wait to see your blocks when you start your BOM!

      Delete
  3. Great idea to make it larger. Love it so far. Will like watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Alaska Quilt Top

 I just finished sewing the last row onto my Alaska quilt top. I really love this quilt! It measures 49.5" square. The pattern is so pr...