Sunday, February 17, 2019

Curved Cross Hatching and Straight Lines

No photo description available.

I love making progress on Green Tea Sweet Beans. I'm about 3/4 of the way there! I'm not very good at quilting for hours. I'm much better quilting for a little while and then going back later so progress is slow but steady. I decided to really make the applique pop in this block. I quilted very close straight lines in the background and outlined each applique piece. I basically held a straight ruler next to my foot and just kept on sewing up and down. 

No photo description available.

I felt this fabric was busy enough for me to try out curved cross hatching. I didn't mark a thing. I just followed the lines on my curved ruler. It's not perfect but I got some great practice. I also learned how to outline around applique pieces. I didn't think you could use a straight ruler but you can! You just use the straight ruler to move around the applique piece which is a great guide for your foot. I'm still new at this but I can definitely see how practice helps so much!

Image may contain: indoor

As you can see, I have a helper. That's Molly keeping an eye on things. I think she's really interested in the laser light from the long arm. That's what I use to follow pantographs. I usually shut it off but Molly is entertained by it so I leave it on. What we do for our pets!!

10 comments:

  1. That looks great. Had to laugh about your cat. They have such big personalities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin! I have 2 cats and they're both very pampered!!

      Delete
  2. Is great to have your kitty helping you while you work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kitties are both very nosy!! They love to watch what I'm doing!

      Delete
  3. Entertaining Molly. So cute.
    Dunkin likes the warmth of the iron on the ironing boatd. Your quilt is coming out beautifully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! I think cats like anything to do with sewing!

      Delete
  4. Lovely quilting--i like those straight close lines a lot...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! I'm having a fun time trying out new quilting patterns. Some work out better than others!!

      Delete
  5. Your outlining on the applique looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Em! I'm still learning so don't look too closely!!

      Delete

More Ruler Work and FMQ

 I missed I Like Thursday this past week. I went shopping for my Mother of the Groom dress. It was the second time I went to a bridal shop t...