These are the two Tulip Blocks I made for Green Tea and Sweet Beans. They both measure 12 1/2 inches square. I ended up paper piecing these blocks. The directions included too many y-seams so I decided to take matters into my own hands!
I took out my trusty graph paper and drafted the unit that's repeated 4 times for each block. I added extra seams to get rid of the y-seams. You can see them in this picture between the sections labelled B.
I made a master sheet that made up the subunits that I would be paper piecing to make the block. I made 4 copies and cut them out and sewed my fabrics onto them.
Here are my 4 units ready to be sewn together.
Here's my tulip!
My 4 units are all ready to be made into a block! So much easier than those pesky y-seams. And so accurate! Graph paper and paper piecing is a great alternative when confronted with y-seams.