Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Alaska and Ruler Work


 The 4th row for Alaska is ready to be sewn to the rest of the quilt. I saw a picture of Alaska online that included a pieced border using one of the blocks from the quilt. I really loved how it looked. The pattern only includes a border made from one of the lighter fabrics. I wasn't going to do it but then I found myself googling and finding the fabric I would need to complete the quilt with the pieced border. I wish I had seen the picture earlier. I just hope I ordered the right fabric. I had to use 3 different websites to find the 3 different fabrics. What a pain!! I think it's more practical if I make the quilt a little larger. I'll be able to put it on my bed. I just hope it works out okay.


I was so excited to start quilting this quilt for my son and future daughter-in-law. I'm starting to not like it as much. There are some huge areas to cover with quilting. I found this Pleat Block to finish this square. I like how it looks and it wasn't too difficult to quilt. Each block is different and there are so many decisions to make. Yesterday, I probably ripped out more than I quilted. I just couldn't remember how I quilted a certain portion of the block. I had to unroll the quilt a few times. I tried taking pictures but then I have to figure out how the block is oriented. Ugh. 


There was so much open space in this block that I had no idea what to do. Thankfully, Natalia Bonner and her YouTube channel saved me again! The Pleat Block is also her idea. I feel I'm getting great practice with my rulers. I'm getting there but it's just not as enjoyable as it was when I started. 


4 comments:

  1. Always difficult to try out new things--at least for me it is..and 1st time is really just a trial run I find...[which is why I have so many orphan blocks I guess!!]'000
    Hang in there-- it will come i am sure... hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose. It's so frustrating!! The blocks are just so big and my longarm is 18" wide so I can only quilt a portion of the block at a time. I have to finish it but I'm hoping it gets easier.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry the quilting isn't as enjoyable now as when you started, Rosemary. But it is really looking nice. I hope you feel better about it soon. The Alaska quilt is going to be gorgeous. I look forward to seeing the pieced border. I imagine it will be worth the extra effort to get the additional fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just have to accept that it's a huge project and is challenging for me. I'm so happy I could find the extra fabric I needed to finish Alaska with a pieced border. I think it's going to look so much better!

      Delete

More Ruler Work and FMQ

 I missed I Like Thursday this past week. I went shopping for my Mother of the Groom dress. It was the second time I went to a bridal shop t...