Monday, September 12, 2022

String Blocks My Way!


String blocks have become my new project. They measure 10.5" square and I've made 15 blocks so far. I looked up different ways of making them. I didn't want to use freezer paper or paper piecing. I didn't want to use a muslin base either. I was looking for the easiest method out there. I found someone who used a square ruler block so that's what I decided to do. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

I'm making each middle string 2.5 inches wide. I have a 10.5 inch square ruler. I just lay the strip over the ruler to make sure it's long enough. 


I work from the middle to one end. Again, I cut a strip and make sure it's long enough to cover the ruler. I made the strips varying widths. Some strips are 2 inches while others are 1 inch. I just sew and iron the seam to one side. Then I reverse the process and work to the other end.


You end up with this messy piece of strips. It doesn't look very nice!


 Once it's trimmed using that same 10.5 inch ruler, this is what you get! So easy! I'm using up my scraps but also cutting strips off of larger pieces of fabric. It's sort of mindless but fun. I like seeing my scraps being used although I doubt I'll ever use them all!! I'm hoping to make 64 blocks.

6 comments:

  1. It always amazes me how before you trim the string blocks, they don't look so good to me; but once trimmed they just really shine...yours are really pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is an easy block and a nice way to use up those scraps.

      Delete
  2. This is a great process. Seems like it would take less time than using paper, which you would have to remove and still need to trim the blocks. Yours are looking very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanna! It's so easy to make these blocks. I'm really enjoying this process.

      Delete
  3. I love this!! I like the idea of not messing with any paper!!
    The blocks are beautiful:):)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always kept away from string blocks since I thought they looked too hard. I was so wrong! These are so darn easy to make!

      Delete

Alaska Quilt Top

 I just finished sewing the last row onto my Alaska quilt top. I really love this quilt! It measures 49.5" square. The pattern is so pr...