Thursday, May 11, 2023

I Like Thursday #190


It's time for I Like Thursday! Please visit LeeAnna over at Not Afraid of Color to link up with more bloggers posting about happy and uplifting topics. My daughter showed me this cookbook. She had to rush out and buy it. I think it's hilarious! It's all recipes that look like cats. You can tell my daughter is a cat lover. The author was on the Great British Bake Off. I hope these recipes taste as good as they look!

I've made some good progress on this Mexican Rose block. The flowers in the corners are slow and tedious but coming out good. Each corner flower also gets a blue center that are small and fast to applique.


When I went to the New England Expo, they had a collection of Alaska quilts on display. I ended up buying the pattern. It's so pretty. After reading the directions,  it looks like a very intense pattern. I plan on buying fabric for this pattern when I visit quilt shops. I'm in no hurry. It only uses 6 different fabrics. 

I felt so bad when I heard Gordon Lightfoot had passed away. I remember playing this song on the piano back in the 70's. I looked around and dug it out of my pile of old music. It was 95 cents back then! I tried playing it but I'm rather rusty. He's got some really low notes for the left hand. I had to actually look them up. The rest wasn't as hard.

This takes us to this week's prompt. What is your favorite musical style? I think mine would have to be classic rock. It's what I grew up listening to and sounds the best to me. When I was in college, I went to lots of concerts. I saw the Who, Yes, Boston, Crosby, Stills Nash & Young. My first concert was Joni Mitchell. That music is still my favorite. I can't stand rap. I hated disco when that first came out. My son is in a few bands and I like his music. He writes a lot of his own stuff. He likes classic rock too. He's seen Dead & Company quite a few times. I feel his gets his music talent from my side of the family. Don't tell my husband?!

 Have a wonderful weekend! Happy Mother's Day!!

10 comments:

  1. Your Mexican Rose block is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. It's slow but steady with this block.

      Delete
  2. Oh my Kitty Cakes, how cute! Your block is beautiful and I've seen a number of our quilting friends stitch Alaska...so beautiful. It must be wonderful to be so musical and to have a son that turns after you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jocelyn. I'm not sure if I consider myself as musical as I used to be. My son is definitely into music. I don't think a day passes that he doesn't play his guitar.

      Delete
  3. I remember that baker... a VERY quirky young Asian woman who wore sort of costumes, very inventive but the judges didn't always know what to make of her. I like quirky. That song is lovely, every time I hear it I sing along, pretending to harmonize but just putting my heart in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That song is fun to sing to. I'm not sure if I'm in tune, but I still sing out loud!

      Delete
  4. Those Kitty Cakes are a kick. I've been admiring Alaska quilts for a while. That will definitely put that on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The directions to Alaska are long and detailed. I'll collect fabric when I go shopping but I'm in no rush. I have plenty of other stuff to make first!

      Delete
  5. That cat cookbook looks hilarious! and fun! Loved Gordon Lightfoot--and so did my grandmother, so sad to hear of his passing. I love your Mexican Rose block! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michele! I hope you had a great Mother's Day!

      Delete

Fabric Placement

I've been working on making the border for Alaska. Edyta Sitar has a picture on her blog where she repeats one of the blocks as the bord...