Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Blast From the Past FMQ Quilting


I was trying to decide whether or not I should custom quilt or use a pantograph on Blast From the Past. I decided to custom quilt. I thought it would be a great opportunity for me to try different motifs. The three borders were easy to figure out. I quilt beadboard on the outer border. It's hard to see but it's a nice pattern to use. It makes the border nice and flat. I used swirls on the middle border and ribbon candy on the last border. 


Since each block is different, I have to decide what to do each time I encounter a new block. I did arcs and loops in the half square triangles.


I also search on line to see what other quilters are done with specific blocks. I love Natalia Bonner so I found her quilting on churn dash. I always love the look of straight lines. It's amazing how simple they are but always look so good.


I forgot how to make orange peels. I had to rip it out a few times before it came back to me! I'm glad I finally remembered.

This block has weird shapes in it. I'm trying to make it look like circles surrounding the middle square. The 9-patch is so small that I just quilted X's through them. I'm still not sure what to do with the middle yet. I'll figure it out! 

This is a fun project and great to be able to quilt some old motifs that I may have forgotten about. I'll post more pictures as I make more progress.

 

4 comments:

  1. Lovely border quilting, Rosemary--it's funny how we "forget" about older patterns that we really liked...quilting or piecing.
    I am excited to be making a postage stamp quilt next...still cutting my 5" charms in halves for that...once they are all done--I will begin cutting the 4sies for the postage pieces...I have separated them into two identical piles as sewing this way results in two the same...wish me luck;000
    After this long weekend it's already Tuesday, but "feels" like a Monday somehow...hahaha
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you really do lose it if you don't use it!! Hahaha! That's such a great use of your charm squares. I had lunch with a friend today and that through me off too! That holiday really shortened the week.

      Delete

Alaska and Ruler Work

 The 4th row for Alaska is ready to be sewn to the rest of the quilt. I saw a picture of Alaska online that included a pieced border using o...