Sunday, November 3, 2019

New Applique and Border

Image may contain: flower

Since I finished hand sewing the binding on my 1930's quilt, I needed a new hand sewing project. This is my version of Merle's Bouquet by Karla Kiefner found in American Quilter September 2019. The directions are to use fusible web but I'll be doing the applique by hand. I think it's going to be a cute wall hanging. It's something to work on while watching television. I have everything pinned and taped down. I'm going to start with the items that are most behind in the background and work my way up to the front. I hope it comes out good!

Image may contain: indoor

I have one border left to sew onto Long Time Gone. I love the framing effect of the braided border. The fourth border is partially sewn together. I can't believe I'm almost done this one. This is definitely one of my favorites!

6 comments:

  1. Hello, I’m visiting from Canadian Needle Nana. I love your baskets and the flowers will look lovely hand stitched. I have not yet seen tape to hold appliqué pieces down. I may try that. The braided border does frame the quilt nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! I have always used tape as well as pins to hold down my applique. I feel it doesn't distort as much as a pin. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Your hand stitched project looks like fun. I am going to try some hand stitched applique too. Love your Long Time Gone quilt and the borders are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colette! I find hand applique is very calming and very forgiving! It doesn't have to be perfect and it looks good! I can't believe I only have one border left for Long Time Gone!

      Delete
  3. Love that applique piece--the flowers are lovely; and Long time Gone borders are beautiful hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! I can't believe I'm almost done Long Time Gone!

      Delete

More Ruler Work and FMQ

 I missed I Like Thursday this past week. I went shopping for my Mother of the Groom dress. It was the second time I went to a bridal shop t...