Monday, May 16, 2022

Sashiko Coasters

I finished stitching my Sashiko coasters but wasn't sure how to finish them. I looked online and came up with a method. This first picture are all 5 coasters once they were finished. I'll tell you how I got there.

I cut each coaster individually along with it's backing. The backing has a sewing line but I thought it was useless. I wanted to center the sashiko design. I was afraid I would stitch into the design which would look awful. 

I layered wrong sides towards each other. I also added a square of batting. Many directions didn't include the batting but I thought just 2 layers of cotton wouldn't be very absorbent. I have plenty of leftover batting and thought it would make the coaster a little thicker too.

I chose to stitch about 1/4 inch from the edge of the design. I left one side partially open so I could turn the coaster inside out.


 And here it is! All that's left is to whipstitch that opening. I also washed them by hand to get rid of the printed design. I gave it a little pressing and I was all done! I really love how they came out. 

7 comments:

  1. Lovely finish on these--they came out so well--really pretty..
    .hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty Rosemary. I never tried that technique of sashiko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was my first time doing sashiko. It wasn't very hard.

      Delete
  3. Love these and thanks so much for sharing how you finished them. Finishing is an art in itself, one that stumps me often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocelyn! I wasn't sure how to finish so I thought I would share in case someone else wasn't sure what to do. It worked fine for me.

      Delete

Alaska Quilt Top

 I just finished sewing the last row onto my Alaska quilt top. I really love this quilt! It measures 49.5" square. The pattern is so pr...