Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Cottage Tulips Block


This block is one of the hardest blocks I've ever made. Before I even started, I knew I'd have to sew Y seams. I decided to brush up on making them by watching a video made by Victoria Findlay Wolfe. She uses Y seams in many of her patterns and has taught the technique often. I found it by searching on You Tube. 

I appliqued the green arcs onto the background. Then, I was ready to try my new Y seam technique to add the yellow diamonds.  I thought this was going well and it wasn't as hard as I remembered.


I repeated my Y seams and put a few pieces together to see how they would look. So far, so good!

I had no idea this was when the hard part starts. This is the block during assembly. I must have sewn, ripped out and re-sewn a million times! I had to stop a few times when the fabric started to fray. The block is done. It's not perfect but at least it's finished. I have to baste 1/4" all around to get it ready to applique onto a square piece of background fabric. I'll be glad when this one is done! I'm more comfortable with Y seams but I'll never consider them easy. 

5 comments:

  1. WOW I am impressed--I've never ventured to try any "Y" seams, Rosemary!! Your block came out beautifully--nice work on this toughie;))) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose! It doesn't look that great to me but it's about the best I can do. I'm glad this one is almost done!!

      Delete
  2. You have my greatest admiration to tackle this complex looking block!
    It's a stunning, beautiful colour mix. I have taken a couple of online classes with Victoria and she has great tips on her many techniques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I chose these colors to remind us of Spring. So glad you like them! This block was so much harder than I expected. I'm glad it's done although I see lots of flaws. This was definitely a learning experience!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely adore this block you made. I've had that pattern bookmarked forever. I think I would have to resort to applique and EPP somehow with it. Love Victoria too.

    ReplyDelete

Alaska + Border

I was a little nervous about this border. I wanted it to look like Edyta Sitar's border but there were no instructions. I'm happy to...