Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Step 1 State Fair Sampler


I told my son and his fiancee that I would love to make them a quilt for their wedding. It didn't take too long before my future daughter-in-law chose State Fair Sampler. However, she did ask for one change. She wants solid black fabric instead of the white background. It took me a little while but I ordered all the solids I need to make the whole quilt. The quilt measures 96" X 92" and is considered queen size. It really is a beautiful quilt. 


 The directions are well written and easy to follow. It starts with the larger blocks first. This is the beginning of the largest block which measures 36" square. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm using black and not white! I have over a year to make this but I doubt it will take that long. I would like plenty of time to custom quilt it with lots of ruler work. I think I'll be enjoying this one!

7 comments:

  1. What a great gift this will be. I'm interested in seeing it with the black background. I imagine it will give it a modern feel...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if it will look more like an Amish quilt?! We'll see! I hope it comes out good!

      Delete
  2. That is one lovely quilt--I think it will definitely look a bit on the Amish type with the black background--which should be really striking...
    enjoy this new journey ;))) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it comes out the way they like it! I'm a little nervous working on it but I think I'll get more comfortable as I continue to work on it.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is quite a quilt and working with black will make it very dramatic. How nice that she wants a quilt though as not all do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right! The black will definitely make those solids pop! Her late mother was a quilter so I'm feeling a little pressure but I'll just do the best I can.

      Delete
  4. What a quilt!!! Love the design and the choice of black will make the solids just pop like crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Alaska + Border

I was a little nervous about this border. I wanted it to look like Edyta Sitar's border but there were no instructions. I'm happy to...