Thursday, January 18, 2024

I Like Thursday #220

It's time for Thursday Likes! A bunch of us bloggers post happy content on a weekly basis. Our fearless leader, LeeAnna over at Not Afraid of Color, is our hostess. You can find links to more bloggers on her blog. I'm finished this block last week on my Carrie Hall's Sampler Quilt. I'm not great at pebbles but I do like how they look here. It's harder than I thought to free motion quilt on applique blocks. Each quilt becomes a learning experience for me. 

,

There are so many fun sew along and Blocks of the Month starting up.  I didn't find anything that inspired me. So, I decided to work on one of the many projects I have sitting in my sewing room just waiting for me to start them. I decided to start making the Alaska quilt from Laundry Basket Quilts. This is block 1. It measures 9.5" square. 


Each block is made 4 times. I cut out the 4 blocks and will make them when I can. Each block is a kaleidoscope block where the 4 points meet in the middle. I hope I get better at that! The quilt finishes about 71" square but I may add a border. I'm not sure yet.

This week's prompt asks us about anything that happened in the last year that impacted you and if you learned anything. My husband was putting away the deck furniture back in October. He fell trying to put the table in the shed. One of the table legs pierced his lower leg. That's not even the bad part. He's on a blood thinner and the bleeding wouldn't stop. Once he calmed that down, he developed a large blood blister that would constantly bleed. He ended up having to go to the would clinic. His blister became an ulcer that just wouldn't heal. He's finally at the end of treatment. I think I learned we're more resilient than I thought. He stayed home a few days but otherwise did everything as usual. I helped him with his dressing as well as his medications. So glad that's over. This is not a picture of his leg but a photo I found of an Unna Boot dressing that ultimately got the ulcer to heal. 

 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Rosemary! Oh my goodness, that blood blister sounds horrible. My sister has been having issues with that. Maybe she should use the Unna Boot dressing now before it turns into an ulcer. WOWEE. I'm so glad his finally healed. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roseanne, this was quite the ordeal! It started from something so minor and became so serious. We're hoping it will all be over next week. It took almost 4 months to heal. So glad it's just about done!

      Delete
  2. I agree - I hate doing pebbles, but love how it looks! Alaska is such a pretty quilt (I keep eyeballing it). I will enjoy watching how yours comes along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally. I've been planning Alaska for awhile. I bought fabric on sale when I would find it. I'm glad to finally start it!

      Delete
  3. Yikes, I am glad that your husband finally healed from that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt block and I well enjoy seeing your Alaska journey, Rosemary. Sounds like a horrible injury but thankful recovery. Interesting bandaging idea.

    ReplyDelete

Alaska + Border

I was a little nervous about this border. I wanted it to look like Edyta Sitar's border but there were no instructions. I'm happy to...