Thursday, July 25, 2019

I Like Thursday #11

Image may contain: plant

I work in a hospital that has this beautiful garden outside the chapel. It's outside of the chapel but still inside the hospital! I love to walk over there and look at all the plants. There are lots of windows as well as a sky light over head.  It's a nice little escape from the demands of working in a fast paced hospital.

Image may contain: table and indoor

My grandmother died a few months ago. She was just shy of her 101 birthday by about 2 weeks. My mother got this trunk from my grandmother's house. My mother's aunt bought her this trunk to be used as a hope chest. I always thought hope chests were made of wood. I think the wood hope chests were too expensive for my mother's family. Italy was quite poor after World War II. When my mother was moving to the United States, she sent this trunk ahead of her flight. She had all sorts of linens inside. Many of them were embroidered by my mother while still in school. My father picked it up and had it waiting for her when she came to Massachusetts. It looks so worn and torn! My mother is repainting it. She bought wall paper to line the inside of the trunk. It's a nice little project for her to work on. She even bought little brass tacks  to replace the many missing ones. I'm hoping to show you an "after" photo when she's done renovating it!

Image may contain: text

I love this! My beauty salon has some very positive wall hangings. It always makes me feel good to read this while getting my hair done! I think we could all use some positive messages.

Image result for where the crawdads sing

If you get the chance, read this book! It's made up of such lush and descriptive language. I can't put it down. It's been a best seller for awhile. I'm sort of late to the party but just wanted to let you know how good it is!

That's my happy stuff for the week! Go visit LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color for more happy posts. It's so nice to look on the bright side. It's so good for you!

16 comments:

  1. what a lovely garden spot to de-stress in...My Mom papered an old trunk of her Mother's and re-finished the outside with distress paint --it looked fabulous--my son always loved it and when he got married we gifted it to him..they use it to store table linens too...
    So that will continue down the family line...so nice
    hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my mom is hoping to get the trunk in good shape so we can use for years to come. She has used primer paint already and it's looking so much better!

      Delete
  2. Hi Rosemary! Oh, that old trunk is just SOOOOOO cool. I'm so glad your mom has it and can enjoy it. I have a hope chest that was my mother's. I don't know the history of what she put into it but I have it in my living room as a slightly-too-high coffee table. It makes me smile each time I look at it. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was so happy to get her trunk back. She hadn't seen it in years. She felt bad to see what awful shape it was in but she's working on it and really enjoying it.

      Delete
  3. That trunk is amazing, can't wait to see it when your Mom is finished! It has a beautiful provenance as well! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michele. I will definitely post picture when she's done. She has lots of memories with her trunk.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful garden to go along with the chapel at your hospital! I bet it is a good part of helping stressed out families deal with their loved one's illness. Your mother's hope chest trunk is a lovely heirloom! I'll look forward to seeing what she does with it. I loved Where the Crawdads Sing - I couldn't put it down either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is working a little bit every day on her trunk. She has primed the outside and ripped out the old paper found on the inside of the trunk. That book is such a great read. I'm a little over halfway through.

      Delete
  5. I'll look forward to seeing the trunk when its restored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom has already started the process! It already looks better and she's only used primer.

      Delete
  6. What a neat garden. My mother has a chest like that, passed on from my grandmother. I love it. How wonderful to have history like that and spending the effort to restore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother thinks it would be a nice place to store some of my quilts. I'll buy some acid free storage paper. It will become a family heirloom to pass down in our family.

      Delete
  7. I adore your little pin cushion, Rosemary. I like how you showed your process. That is probably what I should be doing to get better at piecing.
    Meanwhile, such a lovely idea to have an indoor garden. I would be drawn to it too.
    The story of your Mom's trunk is beautiful. I got a tear in my eye thinking of her and the momentous journey she made.I will look forward to seeing it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocelyn, you're so very sweet! My mother is making great progress on her trunk. I'll show pictures as soon as she's done. I love my little pin cushion. I'm proud to say that I figured out the math and my pattern worked out so well! I wasn't 100% sure and was so glad when it finished up so nicely!

      Delete
  8. Love the trunk. Cant wait to see Moms finished rendition. How nice to have a garden respite in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother is almost done renovating the trunk. Pictures soon!

      Delete

More Ruler Work and FMQ

 I missed I Like Thursday this past week. I went shopping for my Mother of the Groom dress. It was the second time I went to a bridal shop t...