Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Solid Stripe Pin Cushion

Image may contain: stripes

I decided to make a pin cushion. I was going to use a pattern found in Carrie Nelson's book, Pin Pals. I had a hard time deciding which one to make so I made my own pattern using a few of her patterns as a spring board. I decided to use solids instead of prints. I liked gray as the constant fabric between the other colors. I cut a backing from the gray solid and cut 2 pieces of batting to match.

Image may contain: stripes

I sewed all my strips together. The top piece seemed to shrink! I guess all those seam allowances sure add up!

Image may contain: food

I decided to stipple instead of quilting straight lines. I like the look of the curvy stitching over the straight strips. Many of Carrie Nelson's pin cushions have straight line quilting. I just wanted to change things up!

Image may contain: indoor

Here's my pin cushion! It took less than 2 hours from start to finish! My first item for my gift basket! I already have my next pin cushion all picked out to make. 


9 comments:

  1. Really nice pin cushion--I like those long rectangular ones....
    nice finish on this hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julierose! I like the shape too! It's nice to have a few different types of pin cushions.

      Delete
  2. Quilters can never have too many pin cushions! It looks as though it's a really good size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maureen! It's about 3 inches X 9 inches. I kind of like the shape. It fits very nicely right in front of my sewing machine!

      Delete
  3. Love your pincushion. Doesnt that feel good to have that made? Cute cute cute. Dont overlook ufo blocks cut up. They are a great way to get a quick gift done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! You inspired me to make this! I do have a few orphan blocks and never knew what to do with them! Great idea!!

      Delete
  4. Really nice...can’t enough of those pin cushions. I still use one I once made out of an orphan block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. amazonpay agenda

    ReplyDelete

I Like Thursday #231

 Welcome to I Like Thursday! Please visit  LeeAnna  to link up with more fun bloggers. I've been diligently working on my son's wedd...