Sunday, March 22, 2020

Face Masks

Image may contain: Rosemary Mercuri Dickinson

I've worked the last two days. Thursday night, my computer died. I couldn't get it to turn on at all. While at work yesterday, I had my husband take it to someone who's worked on my computer before. He fixed it for me and I got it back last night. My daughter also told me her good friend is being forced to make home visits starting this week. She works with autistic children. Her friend is a little nervous about it so we made her 2 face masks. They're not as good as the real thing, but it's better than nothing. I got the pattern from a link the CDC has up on it's website. 

No photo description available.

I cut 2 halves, one for the lining and one for the outer fabric.
No photo description available.

I sewed the 2 halves together and opened the seam. 

No photo description available.

The pattern calls for elastic straps. I made my own ties from the outer fabric. It took a little longer but worked just as well. I didn't want to leave the house and I heard most stores are out of the elastic. 

No photo description available.

I pinned the ties to the right side of the lining. I pinned the outer fabric, right sides together, to the lining.

No photo description available.

I sewed them together, left an opening and turned it right side out. Done! I just top stitched around the edge when I finished. It was fun to work on these together with my daughter. They're in the wash right now and her friend will be getting them soon. 

I don't have direct patient contact at work but if I do, these might come in handy to use with the masks we have at work. These cloth face masks are designed to extend the life of the medical masks that hospitals stock. If anyone would like the pattern, just let me know. I sort of used a hybrid of 2 different patterns to make these masks. 


11 comments:

  1. Yes, please share your pattern! Especially since these are meant to go over their other masks. I don't have elastic either. Will be calling our local hospital and nursing homes tomorrow to find out their needs and what they will accept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll gladly share! I used this link: https://freesewing.org/designs/fu/
      I made the ties by cutting 4 strips 1.5inches 20 inches long.

      Delete
  2. I cannot find 1/4" elastic and I seem to remember ties are used in surgery...I want to make some masks, too...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made ties that were 1.5 inches wide and 20 inches long. I just substituted them in the pattern I used which you can find at: https://freesewing.org/fu/ Hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. Good job.i made one for hubs as he is diabetic and has copd. Not like 95 mask but a barrier is better than none.my niece is a phlebotomist who travels to take blood so thinking could extend her other mask. Crazy times.someone said they used the flat elastic headbands from dollar store for elastic.great idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. I never even thought of the Dollar Store! It wasn't too hard making the ties. I just wanted to stay home! I'm sure your niece appreciates any help you can give her.

      Delete
  4. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. N95 Masks

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might comment on the order system of the blog. You should chat it's splendid. Your blog audit would swell up your visitors. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! face masks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are some further tips on how you can test KN95 mask to see if it’s fake; N95

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. custom masks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious... PPE supplies

    ReplyDelete

More Ruler Work and FMQ

 I missed I Like Thursday this past week. I went shopping for my Mother of the Groom dress. It was the second time I went to a bridal shop t...