Thursday, December 29, 2022

I Like Thursday #171


I can't believe it's already Thursday but it is! Welcome to I Like Thursday. Please visit LeeAnna over at Not Afraid of Color to link up with more like minded posts. Christmas is over for another year but I'm still enjoying some of the great desserts leftover from the holiday. Every year I make a holiday themed cake. This year it was gingerbread cake. I found the recipe on Pinterest and it worked out great. I think we have one piece left!


These desserts were made by my mother. These 2 desserts are made from the same dough. The one up front are called wandi. The dough is cut into strips, knotted and deep fried. Sugar is sprinkled over the top. I think I've posted them in the past. The plate in the back is called struffoli. It's the same dough but it's made into balls, deep fried and smothered in honey and sprinkles. I have some wandi left but the struffoli are gone! This is considered traditional Christmas sweets in Italy where my mother grew up.


I did manage to get a little quilting done. I made 2 piano key borders. I really love how they look with the string blocks. I have to make 2 more borders but also need to make 4 corner blocks. 


 I started a little wall hanging for my sewing room. It's a paper pieced project. The first part is the little kitty. Isn't he cute??

The prompt is week is learning something new for the new year. I don't even know where to begin! I've been retired for a little over a year but I feel I could do better with time management. Some days just seem to get away from me. I walk 5 miles a day but I want to use weights and build up some muscle mass. I have to learn to cook healthier too. We'll see how I do in 2023!

Happy New Year to everyone! 

14 comments:

  1. Your ginger bread cake sounds yummy! I’ve been craving gingerbread lately! I’m going to look up a recipe! Interesting Italian desserts! Both unfamiliar to me, but I’d gladly try them given an opportunity! Absolutely love the piano key borders on your string quilts. They pair so well! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I still have 2 piano key borders left to make. I'll get there eventually. Happy 2023!

      Delete
  2. Those colored sprinkles on the cake are so festive! Your string quilt is coming along. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary - what are the sprinkles on top of your gingerbread cake? Looks delicious! I do a lot of cardio, but my doc wants me to work more on strength training ... I have good intentions with yoga but have yet to make it a habit ... Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sprinkles are red and green Christmas trees! I would love to get back to yoga. I love walking but I feel it just isn't enough. Have a Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. Your gingerbread cake looks delicious. The Italian desserts are unknown to me, looks delicious too. I wanted to make gingerbread cookies but can you believe we don't get golden syrup here, not even corn syrup or molasses (in spite of Mauritius growing sugar and exports!). The piano keys border is perfect! Cute kitty. Happy New (Quilting) Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Astrid! The gingerbread cake was a great success. I'm hoping to make the other piano key borders soon. The holidays are so time consuming. Have a Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. oooo you're of Italian heritage too! When I found out I was adopted I learned my birth father was first gen American from Italian immigrants! Also Rosemary is Italian too, in the I Like group. Teach me how to be Italian! LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how stupid! I got confused and thought you were Sue at the knittyquilter, sorry. (blushing as how dumb I sound)

      Delete
    2. Don't worry! Our blog titles sound very similar. Have a Happy New Year!!

      Delete
  6. Oh your desserts look yummy. Love the string quilt, and the kitty is very cute. Funny when you aren't working how easy it is to lose track of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you, Colette! I hope all is well with you. Have a Happy New Year!!

      Delete
  7. I agree! Retirement is the best! Let's hope 2023 is a good one!

    ReplyDelete

I Like Thursday #231

 Welcome to I Like Thursday! Please visit  LeeAnna  to link up with more fun bloggers. I've been diligently working on my son's wedd...