Thursday, October 19, 2023

I Like Thursday #209


It's time for Thursday likes! A bunch of us bloggers try to post happy and uplifting posts once a week. Please visit LeeAnna over at Not Afraid of Color to link up to more blogs. This is block 13 of the State Fair Sampler. It's called Clarke County and measures 12.5" square. This block is made of half square triangles and strip sets. This is one of the easier blocks!

I'm making cross stitch Christmas ornaments as gifts so I decided to start early! This is the first one I've finished. It's a Christmas cardinal. It's quite small. It only measures about 2" X 3". I'm going to make all the ornaments first and then finish them all together. I'm amazed at how much the outlining stitch adds to this piece. It's just back stitching using a darker floss but it highlights and contours the objects in the piece. 

I tend to buy lots of magazines this time of year. I'm always looking for a new recipe to use at our holiday dinners. I've bought these 2 so far. I'll probably end up buying a few more. They're fun to look through and full of new ideas. 


This week, LeeAnna asked us about whether or not we've ever had our cards or palms read. I personally never have. However, years ago, I had just broken off an engagement after a long relationship and my mother was beside herself. She and my dad went somewhere and she saw a card reader. She went for a reading and the clairvoyant told her not to worry. I would get married and have a family. I guess she was right! I've always been afraid to have a reading in case I get bad news. I'm content to sit back and see what happens in real time!

Have a great weekend!

11 comments:

  1. The Clarke County block is pretty. You are really moving along on this quilt. Cross stitched ornaments are a great idea for Christmas. I agree, backstitching really adds definition. I look forward to seeing how you finish your ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanna! I've looked up different ways of finishing ornaments. I have to pick a method and see how it goes! I took a class years ago when I used to cross stitch and learned how to matte and frame. But ornaments are different!

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't want to get bad news either. I try to live in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to dwell on whatever the reader would tell me. She could be wrong and I would just be wasting my time.

      Delete
  3. I think psychic readers don't tell bad news... relax and see what they see and take it with a grain of salt. Once a friend's mother, known to be intuitive, looked at me in the depths of sadness over a broken engagement, and said: You'll be okay, explore new interests and let go of the man or you'll be stuck forever.
    she was right, I let go of him that day, and followed new interests and grew as a person, then met my now husband some months later.
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll get up the courage one of these days and get that reading!

      Delete
  4. Hi Rosemary, Love that beautiful block! And I too love to have magazines to browse and inherited Mom's collection as well as her cookbooks. They are always fun to take out and have a look esp. for the occasions. That's a beautiful bird you chose for a Christmas ornament and lovely stitching. I'm going to learn from you how to finish them off into an ornament.
    I think all these readers these days ask you first if you don't want to hear anything negative. I have a friend who goes to the same fellow a few times a year and she has played the stock market and won by what he tells her her luck will be. I can't get over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocelyn, a reader that can help you make money is quite impressive! I'm glad you like the blocks. I've seen a few different ways of finishing ornaments and hope to choose a method that comes easy to me. We shall see but I'll let you know!

      Delete
  5. Once again your choice of bold colour in the block is beautiful, and Iove your tiny cross stitch piece, great idea for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Alaska + Border

I was a little nervous about this border. I wanted it to look like Edyta Sitar's border but there were no instructions. I'm happy to...