Monday, October 9, 2023

Two More Blocks!

I finished 2 more blocks for my son and future daughter-in-law's quilt. This block is called Sioux County. It measures 16.5" square. This is the last of the large blocks. From now on, the blocks will be 12.5" or 8.5" square. Phew! The big blocks are done! This one wasn't too bad but there were lots of flying geese, as you can see! I like using the method of making 4 at a time. What I don't like is that they're not always the most accurate. I like to make my pieces a little bigger and then cut down to size. 


This block is called Appanoose County. It measures 12.5" square. This one was so easy compared to some of the other blocks. I'm hoping many of the remaining blocks will be easier but who knows! I'm officially 1/3 of the way done since there's a total of 36 blocks. Getting there! 

5 comments:

  1. Excellent work, Rosemary. Flying geese having always caused me problems. I love it when I can make units larger then trim them down to the size I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I find flying geese challenging! I've been using charts from different websites to make them a little bigger so I can trim down to size. It's so much better that way!!

      Delete
  2. Since I got my squaring up rulers, I agree about making things bigger and then trimming to size...; it has made a big change for me...
    Your big block is so pretty--this will be a gorgeous quilt...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose! I feel that making larger units and then trimming down works best for me. I hate when they just barely fit. That's when the problems start!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Angela! I'm mostly following the book but did change a few colors.

    ReplyDelete

Alaska + Border

I was a little nervous about this border. I wanted it to look like Edyta Sitar's border but there were no instructions. I'm happy to...