Monday, August 29, 2022

Scrap Quilt in Progress


I've been working on making crumb blocks for this quilt for awhile now. It's based on a quilt by Victoria Findlay Wolfe in her book, 15 Minutes of Play. I used up lots of scraps although my scrap pile still looks pretty large! I made 12 blocks made up completely of scraps that measure 12.5" square. Then I made 20 blocks that also measure 12.5" square but have 4 blades that make the block look like a windmill. The above setting is how it should be sewed together. Unfortunately, it's just not my thing. It looks too chaotic to me and I feel my eyes need some place where they can rest.


I decided to add cornerstones and sashing. My eyes can now relax! The scraps look like they're framed and not running into each other. This is more to my liking. The whole quilt looks more orderly.


 I had to figure out what size to make the setting triangles. I found an online chart and I just followed the directions, As you can tell, they're much larger than they need to be. I'll just trim them down when the quilt is all put together. Two more rows to go! Whenever I work on a quilt where the blocks are on point, I always work on both halves at the same time. The last seam will be where the rows meet in the middle. It takes longer but it seems easier to me. I'll post a picture when it's done! 

7 comments:

  1. I love how you are setting all your crumb blocks--I always find that crumbs make more crumbs somehow!! It's like some magic happens and you end up with more than you began with!!...
    nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julierose! These scraps could keep me busy for years!!

      Delete
  2. The sashing, corner stones and setting triangles make a big difference in this quilt. You made an excellent choice with this change. I'm not a fan of putting blocks on point...I love the look but they are a challenge for me. Your method of working on each half at the same time is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanna. I feel that blocks on point are so much harder than a straight setting. I feel like I had no choice with these blocks. It needed to be more orderly so the sashing and corner stones really help a lot. I hope it comes out okay! I'm dying to see the quilt top!

      Delete
  3. I really like this idea, Rosemary. It is a great way to corral scrappy blocks. You are so good at sorting and coming up with an idea for how to make them work even better. I also enjoyed your Thursday post. I haven't seen a fox here for a while but I know they are around at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jocelyn. I like symmetry and order and this quilt was the opposite! I'm hoping this setting does the trick. I can't wait to see it all finished!

      Delete
  4. I like both versions. Your version is calming. I guess my brain is chaotic. Lol

    ReplyDelete

More Ruler Work and FMQ

 I missed I Like Thursday this past week. I went shopping for my Mother of the Groom dress. It was the second time I went to a bridal shop t...