Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Rhododendron Trail Mystery Quilt Part 2


I've been sort of busy getting the second part finished of Bonnie Hunter's Rhododendron Trail Mystery Quilt. I had to made about a million flying geese. (Slight exaggeration!) Half had to have the yellow on one side, half had yellow on the other side. Flying geese are not my favorite but Bonnie had various methods in her post. I didn't want to make one at a time. I thought I'd be doing that for way too long. So, I opted to make 4 at once. Depending on the finished size, you cut one large square and 4 smaller squares for the corners. Bonnie had a chart up that you could reference.


As you can see, two of the smaller squares are placed on opposite corners. You mark a diagonal and sew 1/4" on either side of the line. Here's my bunch of flying geese. I did many batches. This was batch one!

You cut on the diagonal line you drew and press your geese open. Then you add another square to the only corner left and do the same thing. Draw a diagonal, sew 1/4" from each side and cut on the line.


Once you iron and trim, each piece gives you 2 perfect flying geese! You end up with 4 flying geese from each large square. I placed my neutral squares first and then the yellow one. It made an even amount of yellow on opposing sides. They look nice but took a very long time! Let's hope next week is quicker!!


4 comments:

  1. Your flying geese look awesome. Love your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colette! I'm just using what's in my stash. I hope it all looks good together!

      Delete
  2. Love that rose fabric you are using--very neat flying geese method...nice work Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julierose! I'm trying to use up that stash!

      Delete

Alaska Quilt Top

 I just finished sewing the last row onto my Alaska quilt top. I really love this quilt! It measures 49.5" square. The pattern is so pr...